Scottsdale, AZ

Scottsdale, AZ

Monday, July 29, 2013

Bittersweet Weekend.....

The Good Part.....

Scott, Bentley and I hit the road Friday evening for California.  It was exciting to be able to drive to Cali on only a 5 hour trip instead of the usual 24 hours it took from Texas.  We arrived late that night to a wonderful dinner from Juan Pollo's.  I absolutely love that place!  Juan Pollo has the BEST rotisserie chicken, rice, and tortillas ever!  I first had it 6 years ago when my then soon to be in-laws catered mine and Scott's wedding through them.  Now, I have to have it every time we go to Cali.  We got up early Saturday morning and milled around a bit before heading to Newport Beach.  Newport is my favorite beach in all of Cali.  It is so pristine and beautiful. It was cloudy that day and too cold to go into the ocean, so we just enjoyed the area.  We had a big lunch at the Rockin Baja Lobster.  It was amazing!  I had Tequila Lime shrimp and a Lobster Burger for the first time.  It was sooooo yummy!  I don't know how they do it, but they batter fry the lobster in a "patty style" without it getting rubbery or overwhelming the taste of the lobster.  It was truly an outstanding meal.  After that, we probably actually sat on the beach for about 30 minutes before we got cold and left...lol.

Saturday evening we took the ferry over to Balboa Island for some dessert and to enjoy the sheer beauty of that place.  It has such an old town island community feeling.  I love the houses there, (even though we couldn't afford one as they are well over $1million).  I really enjoyed our weekend trip to Cali.  Our dog, Bentley enjoyed it too.  He met my mother-in-law's dogs Rose, (a Jack Russell Terrier, or terror...lol), and Belle, (a Lab).  He and Belle hit it off right away.  My mom-in-law said that Belle was in love....lol  They carried on all weekend running, playing, wrestling.  I think she wore Bentley out because he got in the car on Sunday afternoon and slept all the way home.  I've never seen him so still for so long...lol   =)


The Not so Good Part.....

Scott and I were sitting on a bench in the middle of Balboa Island Saturday night, enjoying a bowl of froyo and chocolate covered corn flakes, when my cell phone rang.  It was my daughter, Cheyenne, calling to tell me that my favorite radio personality, Kidd Kraddick, had passed away that morning.  My daughter said, "Mom, I just wanted to call and tell you before you read it on Facebook.  I wanted you to hear it from me first because I know how much you loved him."  And yesterday, on our way home from California, my son, Charlie, called to tell me the same thing because he saw it on the news.  He said, "I know how much you loved him, I'm sorry for your loss Mommy."  First of all, I am so very thankful to have children that think of me first and care so much about me in times like that.  Needless to say, I am heartbroken.....

I have been listening to Kidd Kraddick since I was 17 years old.  He's been in my living room, bedroom and car via the airwaves for 23 years.  He made me laugh sometimes when no one else could...he could have me crying one minute, by reading one of his lovely Kidd's Kids letters of appreciation or something, and then have me laughing hysterically the next minute.  Quoting Dolly Parton's character Truvy from Steel  Magnolias, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."  It truly is and no one could evoke that "emotion" in me better than Kidd Kraddick.  He wasn't just a funny man, he was a man with a BIG heart for others.  Everything he did was an effort to reach out to and help others; especially his Kidd's Kids trips.  He has inspired me so much through the years.  It can feel silly being so emotional over someone you just listen to on the radio, or watch on the TV, but it isn't.  My heart was filled with joy this morning when a member of his morning show, J-Si, said as much when he stated feeling that way is the biggest complement we could pay to Kidd as that was his goal.  Kidd always wanted to be "real" on the radio and make everyone feel like they knew the real him.  J-Si said the man we heard on the radio every morning was the real Kidd Kraddick.  He was a sincere and genuine man who shared every moment of his life with us via the airwaves.  It made me feel okay to grieve for him....it does feel like losing a very close friend or family member. 

My mind and heart are deep in denial and just do not want to believe it's true.  When you hear someone day in and day out for so many years like that, you just never think anything will ever happen to them.  You just think they will always be there....I could not ever have imagined a weekday morning where I didn't hear his voice.  Yet, this morning I did....I applaud the rest of his morning show crew that came on for a short while to share their memories and last moments with Kidd.  I know that was probably the hardest thing they've ever had to do thus far.  My continued prayers go out to his close friends and family.  I cannot even begin to imagine the pain they must be experiencing at this time.  I am a better person for having known this great man and will carry his inspiration with me always.  I love you and will never forget you, Kidd Kraddick ~~ R.I.P.

Thanks for reading "All About My Business"
Crystal

"Keep looking up.....because that's where it all is" ~~ Kidd Kraddick

 

1 comment: