Scottsdale, AZ

Scottsdale, AZ

Friday, June 3, 2011

Conflicted...

Well, I have had a very interesting day.  As you all know, I am a photographer.  I specialize in outdoor photography and my focus is on Maternity, Newborns, Small Children, Seniors, and Families.  I recently received a Facebook message from a close friend of the family requesting my services at a wedding.  A wedding?!  Someone saw some of my work, loved it, and now wants me to do their wedding in Colorado this summer.  I'd be lying if I didn't say that the idea excites me; however, my specialty is not weddings nor did I go into this business wanting to be a wedding photographer.  So, I politely declined and suggested an awesome wedding photographer that I know.  

End of story??? Oh no... not when it comes to my family.  LOL  Today I get a call from my brother who tells me that this couple doesn't want some high profile wedding photographer.  They liked my work and want me.  Wow!  I have to say that, while my brother can be slightly harsh in his delivery, he brought up some valid points in why I should take this opportunity.  I told him that I would think about it.  I'm going to talk it over with Scott tonight and hopefully give an affirmative answer either way by Sunday.  To tell the truth, it scares me a little... no, it scares me a lot.  LOL  I've never shot a wedding before and this would be a "sink or swim" situation.  My way of thinking is that if I screw up an individual or family shoot we can always do retakes; however, I only have one shot at a wedding to get it right.  Having been a bride myself, I know how important a wedding day is and how it can be ruined by bad photography.  

On the other hand, I always doubt myself like this when trying something new and then it usually turns out that I exceed all expectations.  Maybe I work best under my own pressure???  hmmm... could be.  Also, if I don't do this I may regret it and possibly miss out on future business.  If I do this, it will expand my portfolio and my business.  I have always wanted to see Colorado.  It's a tough decision.  Well, I have a lot of thinking to do tonight and tomorrow.  If anyone has any advice for me, please leave a comment.  I could use it.  =)

Thanks for reading "All About My Business"
Crystal Campbell
Crystal Campbell Photography

1 comment:

  1. Go to Colorado and do the wedding. When you are first starting out in a new business, you need to go ahead and take the jobs that is offered, so you can expand your portfolio and the more you do it, the better you are at it.. I know you, it will be a fantastic assignment and your work is sooo good.. They have to be impressed with the pictures...I really think you will regret it if you don't go....Love you and miss you....

    ReplyDelete